Oct 22, 2009

Times X


This fall photo is actual not just one photo, but many photos in one. In the now olden days of film cameras, I was experimenting with a technique of making multiple exposures over and over again onto the same piece of film,something I don't think is possible any more with digital photography, save for perhaps somehow post processing the image. Here the frame was exposed without mechanically advancing the film, resulting in multiplying the image on top of itself. In this case, the subtle movement of the leaves and tree changed the photo slightly in each shot creating the sense of movement with the desired sharpness I was looking for.

As much as I now enjoy digital work, the color flexibility and immediacy it brings to photography, I also at the same time miss film. The tactile quality of film, the loading and unloading the camera, the knowledge that there are just 36 exposures ahead of you all added a responsibility to make it right the 1st time, not to mention that special 'gift' feeling that I would experience every time I opened up a box of slides fresh back from the processor. It was literally like opening a present, the excited anticipation to see what was inside to see and enjoy. I do miss that.

1 comment: